Buyer's Guide Download PDF Version
Bollards take many shapes, sizes, and colors and come in a variety of materials. In this Buyers' Guide we are concerned primarily with those bollard designs that serve to provide security solutions for vehicle traffic control in applications such as bike paths, access roads, parking lots, government buildings, schools, and fire access lanes. In the USA, this market has been primarily served by local steel fabricators and scattered manufacturers with European ties. While bollard products are relatively sophisticated in Europe and Australia, the manual vehicle access control bollard in the USA is just beginning to be standardized and marketed. TrafficGuard® Direct, Inc. is an established USA company serving this market.
TrafficGuard® Direct, Inc. bollards help solve vehicle access control problems with three basic bollard categories: collapsible hinged bollards, removable bollards, and parking bollards. All bollard styles are available in locking versions. Each bollard has its own unique benefits.
GOALS FOR YOUR BOLLARD INSTALLATION
Before making a purchase decision on a bollard, the buyer should ask some, if not all, of the following questions about the project:
- What is the primary purpose of this installation?
- Will this bollard be used to protect property or keep our customers from increased personal risk
- due to vehicle intrusion?
- Will this bollard be used to warn users of approaching danger?
- Is the purpose of this bollard to allow access to maintenance and emergency vehicles while prohibiting access to all other vehicles?
Clearly understand the users of the area in which you will be installing your traffic control bollard. will they be approaching it – on foot, by car, by bicycle or all of these? Design, colors, placement, reflective labels, pavement markings, and striping will all impact the safety of your installation.
Currently there are no accepted industry standards or guidelines in the USA that specifically govern thespecifications, materials or marking of the bollards. However, there are various guidelines for pavement striping, location and proper spacing of bollards. Although TrafficGuard® can assist in providing this information to purchasers of its products, the purchaser is ultimately responsible for the proper placement and installation of the bollards.
TrafficGuard® Direct, Inc. is committed to safety in the installation and use of its product. However, as with any product, if it is not installed correctly or not maintained properly, it can present certain risks. Please adhere to the following general guidelines upon purchasing a bollard:
- Read and fully understand the installation instructions before attempting to install any TrafficGuard® Direct, Inc. bollard.
- Although the following illustration exemplifies one potential pavement marking scenario, each installation is unique and may require different or additional pavement markings. Therefore, please consult your local ordinances or any other applicable regulations, standards or guidelines regarding appropriate pavement marking and visibility schemes.
- Substitution of components may impair the proper function of TrafficGuard® Direct, Inc. products. If you need replacement parts, please contact TrafficGuard® Direct, Inc. at the number or email below.
Unless the bollard is being used for vehicle access it should remain in the upright position with the locking pin locked in position at all times.
- Failure to lock the locking pin in place on collapsible bollards may cause the bollard to fall- always lock the locking pin in place with a padlock.
Locking pin must always be secured with padlock when bollard is upright or in down position.
- Replacement locking pins are available for purchase at TrafficGuard® Direct, Inc. For purchase of replacement locking pins, or any other components, please contact TrafficGuard® Direct, Inc. at the number or email below.
- For maximum effectiveness and safety of TrafficGuard® Direct, Inc. bollard products, be sure to properly maintain bollards by replacing any damaged, corroded or missing components and reapply paint as required to maximize visibility.
- In order to ensure visibility of bollards, be sure to apply all decals that are provided with the product, and in the manner recommended by TrafficGuard® Direct, Inc.
The engineering involved in what appears to be a very simple product can determine a great deal about the appropriateness of your bollard selection in its safety, impact resistance, life expectancy and maintenance. TrafficGuard® Direct has every design reviewed by a professional engineer to understand and determine functionality, performance under impact conditions, and maintenance issues. We always consider the long-term cost of owning our bollards in the material selection process.
The materials available run the spectrum from cast iron to plastics. The primary materials found are steel tubing – round or rectangular painted, galvanized or stainless steel. The geographic location of the installation and the intended usage patterns should drive the selection process. The age old "beauty vs. function" analysis always weighs in as well.
All collapsible bollards and removable bollards will require some level of maintenance according to your choice of materials and your unique environmental conditions.
The bollard manufacturer you select should be required to provide you with proof of liability insurance.
WHY BUY A MANUFACTURED PRODUCT?
- Engineered safety features in every product
- Replacement parts readily available
- Product quality, both in material and finishes
- Quick shipment
- Functionality every time
- Product Liability Insurance
- Scalability – 1 or 1,000 units can be shipped quickly